Monday, April 26, 2010

Hummus: A Love Story


Oh hummus, how I love thee, let me count the ways.  I can eat you with carrots or chips or crackers or cucumbers.  I can spread you on sandwiches and wraps.  I can add cumin or cayenne, roasted red peppers or olives.  I can make you in five minutes flat when I’m in need of an afternoon snack.  I can take you in the car, on the airplane, and by train because you don’t spoil quickly.  Hummus, how I adore you!

Garbanzo beans are high in protein and fiber and make a great snack any time of the day.  I’ll eat some hummus and corn chips with a glass of orange juice after working out for a GF/CF recovery snack.  Just be wary because depending on how you prepare the hummus, it can be high in calories from the olive oil and tahini, so serve yourself about ¼ cup instead of eating from the container.

Plain Hummus

1 14 oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed
1 glove garlic
1 T lemon juice
½ tsp salt
¼ cup tahini
½ olive oil or olive oil and warm water mixed
Paprika (optional)

1.       1. Put garbanzo beans and garlic in the food processer and pulse until finely chopped.  Scrape the   bowl.
2.       2. Add lemon juice, salt, and tahini.  Puree until smooth, occasionally scraping the bowl.
3.       3. While the food processor is running, drizzle in the olive oil and continue to blend until smooth.  If the hummus is still too thick, add warm water until you reach the desired consistency.
4.       4. Sprinkle with paprika and serve with chips, crackers, or sliced veggies.

Optional additions: roasted red pepper, Kalamata olives, cumin, or cayenne

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I've just discovered your blog through fanatic cook. I am always happy to find quality gluten free sites. Thanks for the great posts!

    ReplyDelete