Monday, January 9, 2012

Gluten Free Corn Muffins


Life is busy here in the Hoverter household.  Ben has been off from one or both of his jobs for about a month and he's spent that time furiously writing his novel.  He has high hopes that the rough draft will be done in another three months but it will be a challenge since he started back at both his jobs full time today.  I've been seeing patients and writing and networking and cooking.  Somehow, together we get everything done and thus far we've managed to eat well, mostly due to our crock pot.

Ben and I have been cooking out of America's Test Kitchen Slow Cooker Revolution magazine.  Last week when I had a full day of patients in Bothell, Ben threw some ribs in the pot and when I got home at 6:30 pm, I decided we had to have corn muffins to go with them.  I adapted this recipe from The New Best Recipe (from the editors of Cook's Illustrated).  Anyone think I should be paid to market for America's Test Kitchen yet?  I love their recipes because they work and they're guaranteed to be flavorful.

For my baking conversions, I've been using the Gluten Free Girl's ratio of 70% whole grains and 30% starch.  An example of how I did my flour conversion:

10 oz AP four = 283g
70% = 198g Whole grain flour
30% = 85g    Starch

For whole grains I usually use sorghum, brown rice and/or millet flour and for the starches I use a combination of tapioca and potato starch.  If you want to make this recipe using regular flour, simply use 10 oz or 2 cups of AP flour and eliminate the guar gum.


Corn Muffins

Makes 12 - 15 muffins

65 g sorghum flour
35 g millet flour
100 g brown rice flour
42 g tapioca flour
42 g potato starch
1 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 T guar gum
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
8 T unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
3/4 cup sour cream (vegan or regular)
1/2 cup milk (almond or regular)


  1. Adjust oven rack to the middle position and pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.  Put muffin cups in tins or grease tins and set aside.
  2. Combine flours, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.  In another bowl, gently beat eggs and then whisk in the sugar and finally the melted butter.  Add half the sour cream and half the milk, whisk, and then add the remainder of the sour cream and milk.
  3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined and smooth.  Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups and bake ~18 minutes, rotating the muffin tin half way through, until muffins are light golden brown.  
  4. Cool at least 5 minutes and serve warm


Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from The New Best Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment