Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Gluten-Free Quiche Lorraine


I realized as I looked over past posts that I write a lot about eggs because I eat a lot of eggs.  Free-range eggs are affordable when grass-fed meat is not.  Eggs are easy and versatile and can supply a meal any time of day.  Eggs can be savory or sweet.  Eggs are also a complete source of protein and are easily digestible for most people.  What’s not to like about the humble egg?

I’ve written a lot about the nutritional value of eggs so I’m not going to repeat myself, but if you’d like a little reminder, check out my post on potato salad. 

What I really want to talk about today is quiche!  Oh, how I adore the slightly firm, moist and springy custardy goodness that is quiche.  Do you know how difficult it is to find good pre-made quiche?  Have you really looked?  The only place I’ve found in Seattle that makes a decent (or, dare I say, superb) quiche is Cafe Besalu, but sadly, it's not gluten-free.  Want a pre-made gluten-free quiche?  Forget about it!


I’ve been on a journey for the perfect quiche for several months and I’m not sure I’ve found it, but I’m dang close.  I’ve avoided making this delectable egg pie for years because somehow I thought it was incredibly complicated when it’s really just a little time-consuming.  Once you have the crust, the rest is mixing eggs and cheese and bacon and cream together, not that much different from making a scramble.

As a dietitian, I feel compelled to mention that quiche is not "healthy" in large quantities.  It is delicious and feeds the soul, which in some ways is more important than fat and calorie counts, but I would be negligent in my duties if I did not tell you that quiche is pro-inflammatory.  Make quiche occasionally, share it with friends, eat a reasonable amount, and love every bite!

Now for full disclosure: this is not my crust recipe.  This crust is slightly modified from Gluten-Free Baking by Rebecca Reilly and I’ve raved about her in past posts.  If you’re GF and can eat dairy, I urge you to purchase her cookbook! 

Enough said.  On to the recipe!


Gluten-Free Quiche Lorraine

Crust:
1 cup GF mix
      (The Mix: 2 cups brown rice flour, 2/3 cups potato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca flour makes 3 cups)
2 tablespoons sweet rice flour
¼ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons frozen butter
1 egg
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

Filling:
2 large eggs plus 2 egg yolks
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground white pepper
Pinch of nutmeg
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
4 oz sharp cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)

1.     Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2.     Combine the flour mix, sweet rice flour and salt.  Using a cheese grater, grate 6 tablespoons of butter and add it to the flour mix.  Using a spoon or your fingers, combine the butter and dry ingredients to form a coarse meal.
3.     Make a "well" in the center and break the egg into it.  Add the vinegar.  Using a fork, slightly beat the egg and then mix with the flour and butter.  If the mixture is too dry, add cold water 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough can be formed into a ball.  If the dough is too soft, refrigerate it for 15 minutes before rolling out.
4.     Roll out the dough between to pieces of plastic wrap and gently transfer to a pie plate.  Trim and shape the edges.  Pre-bake for 10 minutes.
5.     Reduce the oven heat to 375 degrees F.
6.     While the crust is baking, beat the eggs and combine with the milk, cream, salt pepper and nutmeg.
7.     Sprinkle the bacon and cheese on the bottom of the crust and cover with the egg mixture.
8.     Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the egg custard is mostly solid when the pie plate is jiggled.  If necessary, cover the edges of the crust with tin foil to prevent over-browning.
9.     Let cool for at least 30 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious. Greg does a lovely one with broccoli and ham that you'd probably like too! Does this freeze well? It sounds like something that would be great to make a couple of at some point and then freeze one or both for later if it would come out all right.

    ReplyDelete