Monday, April 30, 2012

Meatless Monday: Tofu Stir-fry with Miso Almond Sauce



There's no denying it, I'm into vegetables right now.  Spring is here and I'm ready to fill up on greens and broccoli and peppers and whatever else I can get my hands on.  Sadly, it's still raining in Seattle, though there's a warmth to the air that wasn't there even a few weeks ago.  I'm not much for salads until it's hot enough to wander about in a short-sleeved shirt so we are doing a lot of stir-frys.


This is a simple tofu stir-fry with a flavorful sauce.  I lightly fried soft organic tofu in high heat safflower oil and set it aside and cooked the vegetables.  I started by sautéing broccoli and carrots for a minute or two and then adding the bok choy and zucchini.  While the veggies cooked I whisked together a simple sauce of 3 T almond butter, 2 T lemon juice, 1 T white miso, 1/2 tsp dried ginger, 2 cloves minced garlic, 1/4 tsp chili flakes and 1/2 tsp hot pepper sesame oil.  If you're a little more methodical in the kitchen, I recommend preparing all your ingredients before you start cooking.  Finally, I added the tofu back into the pan with the veggies and drizzled the sauce over.  Cook for another minute or two and serve over sweet brown rice, garnished with chopped scallions.  Start the rice a good 45 minutes before you want to eat but the stir-fry should take less than 20 minutes to prepare!


What are you cooking for meatless Monday?

Recipe inspired by Vegetarian Times, April/May 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment